Many Indian tribes and nations face efforts by state and local governments to impose taxes on Indian country in violation of tribal self-determination rights and federal law. In this complex area of the law, we advise tribal clients on the respective taxation powers of tribes, states, localities, and the federal government, as well as strategies for structuring operations to avoid undue taxations by outside entities.
- Berkey Williams LLP Welcomes Indian Law Fellow Siena Kalina
- Berkey Williams LLP Welcomes Senior Associate Michele Fahley
- Curtis Berkey, Erica Costa and Aviva Simon author “Revitalizing Stewardship and Use of Tribal Traditional Properties: Options for Improving California Policy and Law in State-Managed Lands and Waters.”
- Onondaga Nation Prevails in Inter-American Commission on Human Rights Proceeding; Secures Admissibility Decision on Land Rights Petition
- Restoring the Klamath River: The Largest Dam Removal Project in the U.S. is Underway